First Moscow State Medical University named after I.M.Sechenova
I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University is situated in Moscow city and represents the largest medical, scientific and clinical complex in Russia. University proudly holds the position of one of the most prestigious medical universities of Russia. I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University is one of the medical universities for Russia recognized by MCI, WHO, UK, USA and other major countries.
International collaboration agreements cover a broad range of foreign universities and organizations, including:
- World Health Organization;
- World Federation for Medical Education;
- Association of University Programs for Health Administration;
- World Organization of National Colleges, Academies and Academic Associations of General Practitioners/Family Physicians;
- European Health Management Association;
- World Association for Medical Law;
- International Science and Technology Center;
- Open Society Foundations (formerly Open Society Institute);
- International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War;
- German Academic Exchange Service;
- Universities in Australia, Great Britain, Germany, Denmark, Canada, Israel, Norway, France, The Netherlands, USA, Switzerland, Portugal, Serbia and Montenegro.
I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University was one of the first to start the admission (direct admission in MBBS) of foreign students back in 1949. Nowadays about 20 % of the students are foreign students and this fact has secured I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University’s the first place in the list of Russian medical universities in terms of the number of foreign students.
Training is conducted in Russian, English and French depending on the type of educational programme chosen. International applicants who do not have a good command of the Russian language can take a one-year Preparatory/Foundation Course.
- Faculty of Medicine;
- Faculty of Dentistry;
- Faculty of Pharmacy;
- Faculty of Postgraduate Professional Training of Physicians;
- Faculty of Preventive Medicine;
- Faculty of Pediatrics;
- Faculty of Health Care Management and Economics;
- Faculty of Preparatory Studies;
- Faculty of Higher Nursing Training, Psychology and Social Work;
- Preparatory Faculty;
- Faculty of Management and Economics of Health.
The university incorporates 69 educational venues, 22 hospitals with over 3,500 beds, seven research institutes and five RAS R&D units, more than 30 laboratories, the largest medical library in Europe, a botanical garden, and many other facilities that ensure academic excellence, resulting in powerful research and innovative advances along with cutting-edge medical care practices.
Theoretical studies are supported by practical skills as the University provides its students with access to numerous city hospitals. The clinical site (‘clinical city’) of I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University was established in 1897 and at the time was recognized as one of the best in the world. It is not only an inimitable architectural complex and a significant historical monument, but also serves as a unique study center for future doctors and postgraduates upgrading their professional skills, a research facility and a care unit for critically ill patients.
The secret of the ever growing popularity of I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University among Russian and foreign students lays in its profound theoretical basis, the development of practical skills from the first years of studies, advanced medical equipment and medical technologies, modern teaching methods along with a diverse and eventful students’ life.
- Botanic Garden;
- The Central Scientific Medical Library of I.M. Sechenov;
- Summer Camp;
- Clinical Simulation Center of I.M. Sechenov;
- The Clinical Campus of I.M. Sechenov;
University’s highly qualified faculty constantly polishes up and updates the education process to ensure the highest standards of our graduates. In recent years we are putting more efforts to invest in developing students’ practical skills and their summer clinical practice. To this end we introduce new programs and elective courses.
POSTGRADUATE TRAINING is an integral part of medical education. FMSMU offers rich variety of opportunities for postgraduate studies or almost all specialties in:
- internship – 1 year;
- clinical residency – 2-3 years;
- PhDcourses – 3-4 years;
- doctorate– 3-4 years.
Some main fields of Postgraduate programs are mentioned below:
- Medicine of urgent conditions;
- Dermatology and Venerology;
- Infectious Diseases;
- Pathological Anatomy;
- Obstetrics and Gynecology;
- Traumatology and Orthopedics;
- Childhood Gynecology;
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases;
- Pediatric Surgery;
- Hygiene of Children and Teenagers;
- General Hygiene;
- Public Hygiene;
- Occupational Hygiene;
- Radiation Hygiene;
- Hygiene of Nutrition;
- Therapeutic Dentistry;
- Pediatric Dentistry;
- Orthopedic Dentistry;
- Surgical Dentistry.
While getting education, all the students are provided with comfortable rooms for living in hostels for students. All the rooms are provided with the Internet access, TV set and telephone. There are bathrooms, lavatories and kitchens for students in the hostels. Usually, students use accommodation facilities on the sharing basis. All students’ hostels are safe and secure as they are under the protection of the police during 24 hours.
Educational process does not only consist of exams and tests. Students’ life is a unique world, full of hopes and joy, exciting events and fascinating new acquaintances. The university is a so-called city within the city, which has everything one might need. Various sport competitions and charity events are being held at the University, and a number of humanitarian missions from the University have been sent abroad. The students can visit the Central Medical Library, the Museum of Medical History, the stadium “Petrel”, the student recreation camp “Sechenovets”, a botanical garden, an animal facility, 3 students’ hostels, a volunteers’ center, a publishing house etc.